Floridian Eddie Archbold Wins Cockroach Eating Contest, Then Dies [VIDEO]
I'm not sure who the bigger morons are in this situation; the line-up of weirdos who furiously chowed down handfuls of worms and cockroaches just to win a python... OR the masterminds behind Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, Florida.
32 year-old Edward Archbold was among 30 contestants who all crammed dozens of the live bugs and worms into their gullets, but was the only one to become sick and perish.
According to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement, Archbold collapsed outside the store and was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were awaiting results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.
The sheriff's office said none of the other contestants fell ill.
Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, told the Associated Press that he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches;
"Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat," he said.
"Some people do have allergies to roaches," he added, "but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."
A statement from Siegel's attorney said all the participants signed waivers "accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest."
In the video below, you can see Archbold furiously consuming the bugs, and at one point it looks as if he has thrown up in his mouth, but contains it, then swallows back, to avoid being disqualified.
WARNING: This video does not show Archbold dying, but it was shot just prior to his collapse. To watch these fools jam down the crawlies is morbid enough. Watch at your own risk.
If you ask me: WORST. LAST MEAL. EVER.