Minnesota DNR’s Tips To Campfire Safety
Nice weather in Minnesota means campfires. Here are a few helpful campfire safety tips from the Minnesota DNR:
- Check the burning restrictions for your area before lighting a campfire.
- Campfires must be 3 feet or less in diameter and no more than 3 feet in height.
- Choose a good level spot away from trees, low branches, shrubs, dry grass, or logs to prevent the fire from escaping, and clear away all materials.
- Have a shovel and water available for extinguishing campfires.
- Supervise the fire at all times.
- Extinguish the campfire with water, using the "drown and stir" method.
One of my favorite thing to do when it finally warms up is to have a campfire. But it is always important to be safe while doing so. Humans cause 9 out of 10 wildfires, and the number one reason is fire escaping from burning piles. Please be careful, and have fun!
Source: Minnesota DNR