Record High Yesterday, Heat Advisory Today [UPDATED]
[Updated 4am, August 27, 2013] Another record high was set in St. Cloud on Monday as the afternoon temp officially soared to 95. A Heat Advisory remains in effect for Central Minnesota today, with highs expected in the low 90s, with the heat index in the low 100s.
[Updated 7am, August 26, 2013] The heat wave continues today in Central Minnesota, following a new record high for August 25th being registered yesterday afternoon in St. Cloud as the mercury hit 94 degrees. The old record of 93 was set in 1937. A Heat Advisory remains in effect through Tuesday night.
The heat index is expected to top out between 95 and 105 degrees today, making prolonged, strenuous, outdoor activity dangerous.
If you are working outside, OSHA and the National Weather Service recommend the following precautions:
- Take frequent breaks in shade or air conditioning.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Wear loose and lightweight clothing.
- Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location.
- Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- Heat stroke is an emergency. Call 9-1-1.