2019: A Big Year for Movies…Well, for Disney Movies Anyway
Disney had a HUGE 2019. The mega-company's movies made over 11 BILLION dollars and that's just from their movies that finished in the top ten. And speaking of the top ten, Disney had seven movies make that list.
But I doubt we seen anything like that again, at least not for a long time.
One reason Disney did so well is that they had two big Marvel movies come out in 2019, including the final Avengers movie. The dust will be settling on that superhero franchise. Same with the Star Wars movies. The successful Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker helped Disney cap off an amazing 2019.
Disney also had three huge animated films this past year and one former animated, turned live-action movie.
So yeah, I doubt they or anyone else can repeat 2019 anytime soon. Unless of course Disney buys every thing else. Which, you know, could happen.
Here's the Top 10 at the box office for 2019 worldwide from Box Office Mojo:
- Avengers: Endgame (Disney) - $2,797,800,564
- The Lion King (Disney) - $1,656,313,097
- Frozen II (Disney) - $1,325,176,364
- Spider-Man: Far From Home (Sony) - $1,131,927,996
- Captain Marvel (Disney) - 1,129,729,839
- Toy Story 4 (Disney) - 1,073,394,813
- Joker (Warner Bros) - 1,060,470,910
- Aladdin (Disney) - 1,050,959,216
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Disney) - $918,796,441
- Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Universal) - 760,330,285