CSB Runner Sets NCAA DIII Record
BOSTON, Mass (WJON News) -- A College of St. Benedict runner set an NCAA Division Three record on Saturday. Fiona Smith recorded the fastest Division Three indoor 5,000-meter run ever at the Sharon Colyear Season Opener held at Boston University with a time of 15:50:48.
Smith was up against a field of mostly Division One runners and beat her personal best by over 43 seconds. No division three runner had ever recorded a time better than 15:58 before Smith's record mark.
Smith is a Senior from Saudi Arabia and has won three individual national titles in cross country and track and field while at St. Ben's. She is also the first athlete in CSB's history to be named the United States Track and Field-Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) NCAA DIII National Athlete of the Year.
READ MORE FROM AUTHOR PAUL HABSTRITT:
- See 3D Photo Exhibit in Little Falls
- New Italian Restaurant to Open in Little Falls
- Little Falls Students Make a Splash for a Good Cause
- Restoring Downtown Little Falls -- One Piece of the Puzzle
- Couple Helping Restore Downtown Little Falls One Building at a Time
- Paynesville to Link to Two Trails Starting in 2024
- Paynesville Native Touring for Latest Novel
RANKED: These are the richest race car drivers
Gallery Credit: Madison Troyer
LOOK: Here are the 10 US golf destinations with the most courses per capita
Gallery Credit: Michael Leonard