FUN Minnesota Facts For KIDS!
Check out this awesome list of fun facts to share with your kids about Minnesota's heritage!
Evenings and weekends are the times people spend with their families. It is also a very important time for adults to spend teaching their kids about topics that are important. And honestly, knowing your state's heritage is something that everyone should know! So here are a few fun facts to share with your kids about Minnesota - their home state!
- St. Paul was originally going to be called Pig's Eye, after the first settler who was blind in one eye. People called him Pierre 'Pig's Eye' Parrant, who settled in the territory we now know as Saint Paul!
- The state of Minnesota was named after the Dakota Indian name for the Minnesota River, "Minisota" which means sky-tinted water.
- Minnesota is known for our 10,000 lakes, when actually we have 11,842 lakes in all!
- Minnesota has about 90,000 miles of shoreline, which is more than California, Florida and Hawaii combined!
- We have the largest shopping mall in the entire country, the Mall of America!
- Minneapolis was the home of Frank C. Mars, inventor of the Snickers, Milky Way and 3 Musketeers candy bars.
- The University of Minnesota was the first place to host a successful open heart surgery back in 1952.
- The stapler was invented in Spring Valley, Minnesota.
- Minnesota was home of Prince, Bob Dylan, Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox!